Tuesday, May 1, 2007


An open letter to my congressional delegation...

I have emailed the following letter to my Congressman and Senators demanding the impeachment of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. I encourage you to do the same. If you don't have time to write your own letter, use this one, just cut out the second, third and fourth paragraphs. Unless you live in Kansas City, of course.

Dear Senators Bond & McCaskill; and Congressman Cleaver;

The time has come to take decisive action to restore justice to the Department of Justice and impeach the Attorney General. He has sullied the office and disgraced the department. He has failed to realize that the AG is not the President’s lawyer, but is instead the people’s lawyer. If the surgeon general politicizes the post, innocent people do not go to prison. Justice politicized is not just, and when Justice is not just, our Republic is in grave peril.

I take this all very personally. I live in Kansas City, and I have been paying attention since Todd Graves got his first headline. I watched in horror as Schlozman abused the office. I had my first hissy-fit about the lack of confirmation and Patriot Act abuses when he blew into town unconfirmed and reeking of Rove. (By the way, in the future read the bills that you are voting on when my civil liberties are at stake! That's what I pay you for. Claire, you of course get a pass here, you were not in the Senate yet.)

I further believe that charges were filed by USA Schlozman in an attempt to influence Missouri elections. Specifically, I believe that the electoral process was manipulated in an attempt to retain the Class I seat Senator McCaskill won in November for the Republican incumbent; and I believe that there is reason to investigate the charges filed against Kathryn Shields before the mayoral primary.

Senator Bond, your cousin is in the position now. I have hope that things in the Kansas City office will improve under his leadership.

But the fact remains that what has happened to the Department of Justice under Alberto Gonzales is an utter apostasy and an affront to the Constitution and the rule of law. Those things mean something to me, and I hope they do to you as well.

On Monday we learned that the Attorney General abdicated his responsibility and delegated unprecedented authority over staffing decisions to two aides, Mr. Sampson and Ms. Goodling. Every day there is a new outrage. The more we learn, the more outrageous Mr. Gonzales stubbornly clinging to his post appears. The Resident stubbornly insisting Mr. Gonzales has his full faith and confidence quite frankly crosses the line from absurd to disturbing.


Enough already. The fecklessness, mendacity and perfidy are manifest, and the incompetence is staggering in scope. We, the People, simply can no longer abide it, and the time is nigh for the impeachment of the Attorney General. If he will not resign, and the President will not ask for his resignation, then Congress must intervene and remove him from his post.

Congressman, I encourage you to introduce Articles of Impeachment against Alberto Gonzales today. And Senators, I hope that you will vote to convict when the case comes before the Senate.

Respectfully;

All congressional contact information is available on the sidebar. Please use it.