Wednesday, August 1, 2007


Apparently, O'Hanlon and Pollack Missed Some Truths About Iraq During Their 8 Day Tour

I spent a little time tonight listening to Larry King's interview of Dick Cheney. Of course, he cites the Michael O’Hanlon and Ken Pollack's New York Times Op-ed as proof “we are finally getting somewhere in Iraq, at least in military terms." As TPM points out the mainstream media has jumped with military precision onto the O'Hanlon and Pollack bandwagon.

Blue Girl has her own opinion of O'Hanlon and Pollack which you should read. I did and found her comments revealing. There are some other bloggers who have also dissented, but people like Chris Matthews keep trying to shout them down.

I didn't know what to think. It's been a long time since Blue Girl has been in Iraq. Things change. Maybe Iraq really is improving. To hear Bush tell it the new General is akin to the second coming of Jesus Christ. As much as I want to see the Republicans defeated in 2008, I really do want to see peace come to Iraq. For the briefest moment I felt a glimmer of hope about Iraq. Damn it, I just want to believe.

Then I listened to the report of CNN correspondent Michael Ware who has been in Iraq for a lot longer than 8 days. He is not nearly as bubbling with enthusiasm as Cheney, Pollack and O'Hanlon. I don't think he is about to say peace is around the corner. Give his video a look. If you want to read his report. It can be found at ThinkProgress.



Did you note the tone of disappointment in Cooper's voice. Apparently Ware didn't get the MSM memo. My hopes are shattered again.

Oh, that Cheney interview is really revealing. At one point the Vice President actually said.

"Brent (Scrowcroft) doesn't walk in my shoes these days. He's not in the job I'm in," Cheney said, deflecting a criticism by Brent Scowcroft, a George H.W. Bush administration official who is a long time friend of the Vice President. "He's not responsible for making the decisions the President has had to make and those of us who support him and advise him."
You can read more about it at Raw Story. The full transcript has been posted at the White House website.

If you don't want to go to CNN to watch the whole thing, TPM has posted an abbreviated "liars edition" of the Cheney interview with comments.