Tuesday, August 14, 2007


Hillary Plays Political Checkers With Roveless White House

As I reported yesterday Hillary Clinton has put up her first Iowa TV ad of the season.

At the time I suggested you notice the target of the ad. It wasn't Obama. It wasn't Edwards. It wasn't any of the Republican candidates. It was the only target I would have picked if I were in Hillary's shoes.

Today the target struck back through his spokeswoman Dana Perino.

Well, this is going to be tricky going into the campaign season, when people start running ads, because as tempted as I am to take that head on, I think I will refer to the R.N.C. for the specific — for answers on the politics of it. But as to the merits of it, I think it’s outrageous. This is a president who, first and foremost, has helped millions of seniors across the country have access to prescription drugs at a much lower cost. That system that the president put in — helped put in place, with the help of both sides of Congress, Republicans and Democrats, Medicare Part D, is helping millions of people, and working better than anyone would have expected. In addition to that, the president has tried to take on the issue at the root cause of it, and tried to change our health care system so that we actually are helping provide less expensive but still great quality care to people all over the country.

And as to whether or not our troops are invisible to this president, I think that that is absurd, and that is unconscionable that a member of Congress would say such a thing.
According to the DesMoines Register Hillary Clinton replied.
“The White House just attacked me a few minutes ago saying how dare I say that Americans weren’t visible to the president,” Clinton told a crowd of more than 800 in Dubuque today. “I’ve said it and I will keep saying it because I happen to believe it.”
Last evening Chris Bowers at OpenLeft watched the ad three times and said it was boring. Chris, I don't think Dana would agree.

The New York Times political blogger Patrick Healy seems to think
The Clinton campaign likes few things more than taunting a rival into attacking Mrs. Clinton — allowing her advisers, in turn, to say that Mrs. Clinton is under assault by this opponent or that one (in this case, the “right wing attack machine”). The Clinton camp cites these episodes in fund-raising letters and other literature to try to energize Democrats to support her fighting spirit.
Hillary wins this round. Thank you very much Dana. I doubt Tony Snow would have risen to the bait. I have a hunch that unlike Tony, who is merely an unprincipled hack, you are a true believer, a real loyal Bushie.

If you haven't watched the ad, here it is again. Chris, I would suggest you watch it again too. If this isn't a Jimmy Seigal ad I would be surprised. Althought I have to admit the David Strathairn as Edward R. Murrow ad is one of the best I have ever seen anywhere at any time, the top of the line pros at the helm of Team Clinton don't put up ads merely for the amusement of us bloggers. It is too early for all the attack ads. It is too early for David Strathairn. The time is just right for this Hillary ad.