Saturday, January 19, 2008


Campaign Video of the Day -- January 19, 2008


Today's Campaign Video is a history lesson. As a little boy I actually saw "whites only" signs as my family traveled through the South to my uncle's house in Florida. As a teenager I realized that the civil rights movement was historic and that Martin Luther King was a leader for the ages. I saw King's "I have a dream" speech on television through the fresh eyes of youth. I also saw television reports of Lyndon Johnson signing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In today's video essay Bill Moyers, who was an eyewitness to this history, teaches us about a movement whose time had come, an iron willed leader who wouldn't back down and a President called to greatness by his encounter with that leader.

You can watch and learn after the jump. It's compelling video. If you haven't already, you really ought to bookmark Bill Moyers Journal.

If you encounter a video in need of broader play, please email the link to proctoring.congress@gmail.com subject Campaign Video of the Day.

Video after the Jump.




Posted to Youtube by PBS.