Friday, January 4, 2008


First Impressions

More tomorrow, after digestion and cogitation, but for now, some first impressions:

Hillary is wounded and deeply humiliated. I've never believed she has Bill's political smarts, charisma, courage or strength. This loss in a race she thought dems would hand her on a silver platter is going to crack that pretty shell and reveal the shallow tool she's always been.

Edwards beat Hillary. That's a victory, no matter what anyone says. I sent money to him this morning, and I bet I'm not the only one.

Obama. I'm actually fucking choking up here. As a Southerner of a certain age, I'm moved by his win in ways that you youngsters can't appreciate. As Molly once wrote, all liberal Southerners who grew up in the South before civil rights come from the same place: race.

I still say the winning team next year is going to be Edwards-Obama, but right now I want to find every Iowan who caucused for Barack and hug them.

Huckabee, Huckabee, he's our man! If he can't kill the republican party, nobody can!