Monday, January 21, 2008


The Most Important Moment of the SC Debate

My husband - liberal Republican if there is such a thing - sat with me, intently watching the Democratic debate in South Carolina. There were many opinions and many "shushes" while we listened.

I tried to describe positions that he already knew, but we both felt the most important moment came after the final comment offered by Hillary Clinton. It wasn't what she said. It was what followed ...

A commercial for Obama for President - airing in Florida!

[keep reading if you want to find out how Obama thumbed his nose at the DNC]


It was a shocker - I almost leapt off my couch! A Democratic campaign ad airing in Florida. After all, weren't we exiled after Florida moved their primary date to Jan. 29? Didn't we have all our delegates stripped? Didn't each of the candidates still in the race agree to NOT campaign here?

No Hillary! No Edwards! No Obama aura!

Yet, here was an Obama ad - replete with his Professor from Harvard Law wondering why Obama gave up such a promising career to battle for the less fortunate among us - airing not once, but three times, in less than 2 hours on CNN after a Democratic candidate debate. Yes, that's what marketing calls "product placement."

I have opined to anyone who will listen that it is a disservice to Democratic voters that we have been deprived of the Democratic debate. This seems especially true with such a qualified group of Democrats who are running. Even if you're a Republican, you only have to be reasonably intelligent to realize that the three folks on the stage tonight far exceed any of the Republican candidates (personal swipe acknowledged).

Yet, I can't help but feel that Obama snuck one up. Believe me, based on all my conversations, we'd most expect this of Hillary. I don't mind that Obama thumbed his nose. In fact, I think all Dems are operating under a stupid and senseless ruling by the DNC. That said, do you play by the rules (such as they are) or not? Do you support the agreement you made or not?

One ad is a mistake. Three ads are not, especially not in Florida.