Monday, June 4, 2007


Spc. Benjamin J. Ashley, Age 22, Independence, MO


This morning on our way to the office, my wife and I drove past the gathering funeral procession for Spc. Benjamin J. Ashley. According to the Defense Department News Release, Spc. Ashley, age 22, of Independence, Mo., died May 24 in Balad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. Ashley was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.

I was not privileged to know Spc. Ashley or his family, but many did. The Church parking lot was filled with the cars of grieving family and friends.

Along with the cars were a number of motorcycles flying American Flags. I presume they belonged to the Patriot Guard Riders because there was a notice of assembly time and place posted on the Internet. They filled this American with pride.

Turning the corner, and completing this tragic American tableau, we encountered a handful of adults, cowering behind a bunch of little children, several of them no older than seven or eight. I don't know what the adults were doing, but the children were carrying the hate filled signs of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. One of the little children was dragging a flag tied to her leg. Out of respect for the Ashley family, I have decided not to post a link, or repeat the hate painted on the signs. If you are interested, look them up yourself.

My wife was angered by the protesters. I was angry and saddened that a brave young man from my hometown had died. I was also praying that the funeral procession would not take the family past the hateful little children. Spc. Ashley deserves peace. God speed, Benjamin.