Wednesday, April 11, 2007


US Attorney--Patronage Opportunity?

The Next Hurrah points to an interesting email exchange between Kyle Sampson and Bill Kelley on December 7, 2006. You will recall that December 7 was the day the Gonzales 7 were fired. It was also the day Rachel Paulose and other US Attorneys were to be approved.

11:19, Kelley emailed Sampson in a panic.

Our leg folks are all up in arms that we are doing this on the last day when things can be gummed up by unhappy Senators. There's no way to pull back til tomorrow, is there? I should have flagged the timing for them earlier -- but they never raised the issue of timing until things were underway.

To which Sampson replied:

Too late, right? Calls to USAs are happening as we speak. And Sens. Kyl and Domenici already have been notified (and are ok). Do they think Sen. Ensign will be concerned (I don't)? And none of these USAs has been promoted by a House member.

To which Kelley responded:

I told them it is too late, but I said I would confirm with you. I think it is clear that they are overreacting, and I've told them that. I don't know if Ensign is close to the Nevada guy, but I would think he'd welcome a new patronage opportunity.
White House to US Attorneys, you are not performing important public service, your job is just another patronage office. Heck of a job gang.