Saturday, June 23, 2007


Army Wives

We're a serious blog. I know that. But, I can't help it. I've determined that Roxy is my favorite character on TV. She's the 4-day, just met, Army Wife of Trevor.

Have you seen this series on Lifetime? If you haven't, you should. Sure, it's definitely a romanticized view of army life. Yes, it seems to be pro-war in the context. But, it at least broaches the hardship that families face when their loved ones are called to serve our country the whims of King George.

There is a real human toll associated with any troop deployment. My husband's closest friend was deployed to Bosnia for 18 months and it ended his 10 year marriage.

The most realistic portrayal is the weakest storyline - Lt. Col. Burton and her husband. She's dysfunctional after returning from her tour. Their marriage is in trouble. This seems about right to me. I've seen the homeside carnage of a single deployment in a non-war zone.

Imagine, if just for a moment, how it must be for the families of the men and women who are serving in Iraq. Imagine more that they really don't know what they are serving for. This is what the families of those serving in Iraq face every day.

For all the pro-family values that Republicans spew that Democrats do not "own", Republicans have done more to tear apart families, damage the family value psyche, and ruin commitment to family than all the imagined "Dems don't support the troops" attacks combined. For once and all, can we not just call it like it is?

This ridiculous war in Iraq has caused us to lose more than our focus on stopping al qaeda and islamic jihadism. We have torn apart the very foundation upon which we prosper - our Constitution and Families - because of it.

I'm stamping my feet. I want it over with. I want it to stop. Like Veruca Salt in Willie Wanka, I want it now!!!!

Unfortunately, those of us who are sane are treated like we are having a temper tantrum. No one, not even our Democratic leadership, is listening. I want someone who makes sense to talk to them. I want street-wise Roxy to talk for us all.

This, in a slightly edited form, is cross-posted at The Unseen Democrat (TUD), a self-indulgent site that is tempered in nature and not oft posted to.

Deb-TUD

"There are moments when the injustice of having to leave your country, simply because an imbecile got it into his head to invade it, is overwhelming."


Riverbend Blog