Wednesday, August 15, 2007


Ted Stevens Over Acts

During an interview with the Anchorage Daily News editorial board, Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) was asked how, in light of ongoing federal investigations into him, he could “be effective in Congress.” Instead of addressing the question, Stevens attacked the paper:

This paper has caused me more difficulty, and I’ve told you that before, than anything else. You’ve created me as the senator-for-life. You’ve been hanging me weekly. […]

I’ve spent hours here with you here in the past, and I’ve never seen any result of it at all. … This paper has done nothing but try to assassinate me.
Stevens is evidently upset about coverage of events like the FBI raid of his home, which marked the first time in history federal investigators searched a sitting U.S. senator's residence.

To paraphrase Sarah Vowell, "Assassins and self-important senators invite the same basic question: Just who do you think you are?"